At Estates West, we are all dog-lovers. Almost every one of us has a four-legged friend, and so we consider our furry pals when we book our vacations, since putting them in the kennel is just not good enough for us anymore. Travelling with your pet is now the norm, and something that many frequent travelers expect when booking hotel rooms. When you check-in to a luxury hotel, your every need should be taken care of, and that includes the needs of your furry friends. High-end hospitality brands like JW Marriott, Four Seasons and Fairmont have all embraced the needs of pet-owners, which is truly a much-appreciated service for those with pets. At Estates West, we have travelled with our dogs and resorts have been very accommodating, making our vacations that much better. For your consideration, here is a list of the most dog-friendly regions in the United States, according to www.dogfriendly.com. It gives some good ideas to think about when taking your pooch on its next holiday. And remember to ask the hotel if they are pet-friendly. If they are not, you may want to take your business elsewhere. This list takes into account the dog-friendly accommodations in these towns, as well as things to do with your dog, beaches, parks and dog-friendly patio dining.
1. Cape Cod, MA - Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Pet-friendly ferries and beaches. Also Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.
2. Black Hills, SD - Lots of pet-friendly attractions and camping. Visit a car museum with your dog. See Badlands National Park.
3. St Augustine, FL - Dog-friendly shopping and dining. Take a boat cruise and a ghost tour. Visit the Fountain of Youth.
4. Carmel / Monterey, CA - Off-leash Carmel City Beach one of the nation's best. Many walking and hiking options. Shop and dine in luxury with your dog.
5. Colorado Springs, CO - Visit the Garden of the Gods Park and Seven Falls. Shop at the Promenade Shops at Briargate. Drive to the top of Pike's Peak.
6. Bar Harbor/Acadia, ME - Pet-friendly Acadia National Park. Shop and dine in downtown. Ride a number of cruises and take the local bus with your dog.
7. Virginia City, NV - Ride an 1800's train and a stagecoach ride. Walk the wooded sidewalks and shop in the old west.
8. Sedona / Grand Canyon, AZ - Many pet-friendly resorts in Sedona. Take a Jeep tour and shop downtown. Hike the rim of the Grand Canyon a few hours away.
9. Mendocino, CA - Stay in a pet-friendly B&B. Walk the quaint seaside town. Go to the beach and dine outdoors.
10. Chattanooga, TN -Walk Rock City Gardens with your dog. Visit Ruby Falls. Shop and dine in downtown.
Honorable Mentions - The following five places are also excellent vacation spots to visit with your dog -
- Amarillo, TX
- Medora, ND
- Outer Banks, NC
- Santa Fe, NM
- Yellowstone/Grand Teton, WY